Smile Makeovers In Portland OR
What is a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover is a customized treatment plan that is developed to help a patient address specific concerns about their smile. More than just whitening teeth or repairing a cavity, a smile makeover is an in-depth process of assessing the smile as it relates to hair and skin tone, the size and shape of the lips, and proportions between teeth and gum tissue. A smile makeover even considers the way a person wants to present themselves. For example, some tooth shapes portray a more laid-back personality while others portray more sophistication. Through detailed discussion and planning, a smile makeover brings a person’s vision of their smile into reality.
What types of problems do Smile Makeovers fix?
A smile makeover is customized to address a wide range of concerns, including:
- Tooth color – This aspect of a smile makeover can apply to several things. The smile can look more natural by replacing old silver fillings with tooth-colored composites. Tooth stains can be erased with professional teeth whitening or porcelain veneers. Tooth shading and coloring are carefully planned to create consistency between natural teeth and those that may be covered with crowns or veneers. Shading also considers each person’s complexion to ensure that the smile matches hair, lip, and skin color.
- Spacing and alignment – Crooked teeth may be a cosmetic concern or may affect the bite. Treatments like Invisalign can resolve both cosmetic and alignment problems.
- Missing teeth – A bridge, denture, or dental implants may be considered to restore full function and form to the smile.
- Harmony – Teeth that are oddly sized or shaped disrupt the balance in the smile. To restore harmony, a dentist may reshape the gums, apply veneers, or bond teeth to cover chips or other imperfections.
The treatments conducted in a smile makeover aim to enhance the nuanced aspects of the smile, including tooth texture and characteristics, the smile line, tooth length and general shape, and proportion between teeth, the gums, and the lips.
Who is a good candidate for a smile makeover?
Adults who are interested in improving the appearance of their smiles are generally good candidates for a smile makeover. Some patients will need to commit to restorative dental work before their cosmetic makeover can begin. Certain procedures, such as dental implants, may carry more risks for people with gum disease or a health condition like diabetes. A pre-treatment dental exam enables us to determine if teeth or gums need repair before the smile can be enhanced.
How long does a smile makeover last?
No dental restorations are indestructible. However, the crowns, implants, porcelain veneers, and other cosmetic improvements performed in a smile makeover typically last 10 to 15 years. As restorations wear down, they may need to be replaced. How quickly that happens depends on factors ranging from the materials selected for restorations to the skill of the ceramist making the restorations to the daily care teeth receive.
Oral care is within each patient’s control and highly recommended to maintain the results of a smile makeover. Some may need to modify oral hygiene habits to support the longest lifespan of their new smile. Experts suggest:
- Avoid using abrasive toothpaste and hard-bristled toothbrushes. These can scratch porcelain and enamel and dull the luster of the smile.
- Brush twice a day.
- Floss every day. This removes debris from in between teeth, an especially vulnerable area for porcelain veneers.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwash. Alcohol can harm composite veneers and fillings, degrading their bond.
- Avoid foods that stain, such as tea and coffee. Rinse the mouth after consuming stain-causing foods and beverages.
- Limit sugary foods and frequent snacking. Alcohol consumption should also be limited to maintain dental restorations in their best condition.
- Avoid biting or chewing on hard objects.
- Get a custom-fit nightguard to reduce the force of clenching or grinding.
How many treatments are needed for a Smile Makeover?
Every smile makeover is unique because every set of teeth is different than all others. For some, a smile makeover may involve one or two treatments. For others, both restorative and cosmetic procedures may be needed. We perform a thorough dental examination to ensure teeth and gums are in healthy condition before beginning cosmetic treatments. A comprehensive consultation is also conducted to gain a full understanding of what the patient wishes to accomplish. Based on the information gained, we can provide a detailed outline of the various procedures it will take to reach their goal.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
If you are interested in revitalizing your smile with a smile makeover, contact NW Heights Dental today! Give us a call at (503) 646-1463 or fill out an online form to schedule a consultation at our Portland office.